rockbound lake hike

• av

If you walk to the right once you get to Rockbound Lake, you will get an awesome panoramic view point. The trail is well maintained and absolutely stunning with views of … Silverton Falls is a short out-and-back detour en-route to the lakes, marked by a signed fork roughly 500 m away from the Rockbound Lake Parking Area. Awesome trail, lots of uphill but flattens out till the lake!! This trail starts at the popular Chester Lake Trailhead, which has toilet facilities. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Trailhead: Drive to the parking area on the north side of the Bow Valley Parkway 0.2 km east of Castle Junction. We last hiked to Rockbound Lake in October 2014, well after peak larch season. We enjoyed the view of Tower Lake while eating lunch overlooking out of the wind. Trail to the lake was dry and in good condition. Not many people on the trail. A long, steady climb through the woods takes you to Castle Mountain’s “other side” where you will be treated to a pair of beautiful lakes that you will not soon forget. I carried onto Tower Lake and Rockbound Lake, after which it’s a grind to trek through the rock formations, and trail finding precipitates into a game of spotting the next cairn marker. A lot of incline but beautiful lake at the top! The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking. My GPS logged 29.8km - other hikers have also reported around the same distance. Branching off the Rockbound Lake trail at 300 metres, this short hike ends at the base of a waterfall that cascades over a series of narrow ledges surrounded by forest. I was hoping summit Castle mountain from here but got turned around by weather while I was on the ridge. A Waterfall can be seen from the back side of the lake. We hiked around the lake which was amazing, the waterfalls are beautiful close up. Along the route you are treated to amazing scenery with highlights including: alpine lakes, granite peaks, meadows, waterfalls, and expansive views of El Dorado National… It’s a short walk from there to the Rockbound Lake trailhead, where I start the hike. Maybe if you climb the rocks and get higher for a better vantage point? Only saw 1 other person the entire hike as well. After a couple days of recovery from 3 straight days of a hiking marathon that saw 60km total distance and just under 5,000m total elevation gain, I was itching to do another big one. Who: Ed, Jace, Craig, Paige, Joey, Ian . The east section of the parkway from Lake Louise to Castle Junction remains open. Hiking date: September 1, 2020 Park at Rockbound Lake Trailhead, 0.2 km east of Castle Junction on Bow Valley Parkway (Highway 1A).The trail wanders through forest until coming to a fork to the right, leading to SilvertonFalls. Total elevation gain: 1,500m Take the Schmidell trail to the left until you reach the southeast end of Lake Schmidell at about the 7.8 mile mark. Rockbound Lake is a 10.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. There is a parking lot with a kiosk, bear safety information and a map. It is surrounded by giant boulders and sheer limestone cliffs on all sides. Loved this hike and highly recommend! Location: Banff National Park: Castle Junction Area. There was so much melting snow we basically hiked in a stream rather than a trail. Elevation Gain: 760m. It hides a lot of the mountain scenery at first but when you finally get to see Eisenhower Tower, it's very impressive. The trail to Rockbound Lake leads hikers around the eastern side. Stuart Knob (2,850 meters) stands opposite the crystal blue lake. The hike over Rockbound Pass is far less crowded than many of … Follow the Rockbound trail up and over the pass until you come to a fork in the trail at 6 miles, just past Lake Doris. That’s quite alright though because this hike is all about the scenery. When: October 13, 2019 . There is also a scramble from this point to a ridge. Hiking trail: Eisenhower Peak and Castle Mountain (including Tower and Rockbound Lakes) Beautiful views of the lakes and surrounding mountains. (PS: Bring DEET) The standard route from Rockbound lake (solid line) is an easy hike up to a very wide plateau. Bourgeau Lake. Summiting Castle Mountain took just under 5 hours. Following the short, steep guided hike to the Mount Stephen trilobite beds, we wanted similar elevation gain and more distance for our second conditioning trail. Like it’s nice. There is also a scramble from this point to a ridge. It was a lovely day in the mountains. A slow but steady climb through the trees via switchbacks to Tower Lake. Hike some of the most primitive trails in Desolation Wilderness on this 2-3 day backpacking trip. Nice easy trail. If you walk to the right once you get to Rockbound Lake, you will get an awesome panoramic view point. Instagram for pics/DM: rootyhiker. D/T the smoke the views were not there but none the less an awesome hike with the yellow larches/marmots at Rockbound Lake so worth it! It was a cloudy day filled with marmots and squirrels, which captivated the 2 big dogs we had. Note: As of June 2020, the road and parking lot closest to the trailhead are closed, be prepared to hike to the trailhead from another parking lot. This first part of the hike is along a … Starting from Wrights Lake, the route proceeds over Rockbound Pass, loops around several lakes, and returns to Wrights Lake. I had loads of trouble narrowing down to just 10 photos for instagram. Park at the Rockbound trailhead on the west side of Wrights Lake. To get to Helen Lake you must hike in on a moderate trail for 6km (one way). This loop traverses over Rockbound Pass and Dicks Pass on its way to the beautiful Lake Aloha. Probably the best marked trail I’ve done to date. The Rockbound Lake Trail is located near Lake Louise in Banff National Park, just 31 km west from the town of Banff. The Hike to Rockbound Lake, Banff National Park The first 5 km to Rockbound Lake. Good trail through the trees to Tower Lake and then a short steeper climb to Rockbound Lake. The trail is long but beautiful. Loved this trail! comfortable and both the lakes are great. From Tower lake it is only a 1/2 mile climb to Rockbound lake. NTS Map: 082O05Elevation Gain: 760 m (2,493 ft). With the Bow Valley Parkway closed off, parking can be found opposite the Castle Mountain Gas Station off the Banff-Windermere Hwy. This is a challenging and beautiful trail. Rockbound Pass trail sign and map display. This is a easy one way trail to Maud Lake in Eldorado National Forest. Push past these, finishing the vertical element of the hike, and walk through a small grove of trees toward Rockbound Lake. Rockbound Pass Trail: This trailhead is located on the south to southwest side of Wrights Lake. Tunnel Mountain gets the nod for our number two because it’s right in the heart of … Once up at Rockbound, I continued even further up the hill to get a … Route was mostly dry, some mud due to recent rainfall. The blacks in the rock shelf behind set the stage for some incredible pictures before you reach Tower Lake. The additional 6km of road to access the Johnston Canyon Trailhead from Rockbound Lake Parking lot is NOT RECOMMENDED. The approach is a very mellow incline, well maintained trail - my 2 yr old could manage it when she choose. Along the way to Rockbound Lake, the trail actually takes you to Tower Lake as well. This 26 mile loop meanders through some of the most primitive trails in Desolation Wilderness. Desolation Wilderness is one of the most heavily used wilderness areas in the country. But that was just a part of the journey to summit Castle Mountain. I look forward to going back in a few years and getting to the second lake :) Also, parking is right across the street, easy access, but the closed sign made for a pretty quiet trail. I pity the poor sods who actually came for the lake view alone. I didnt find Rockbound that impressive. The trail from Tower Lake to Rockbound is 1/2 mile straight up on a well defined path. Take a right-hand turn at the fork, and follow the trail about 200 m up and along a hillside to arrive at a viewpoint for Silverton Falls; an impressive, multi-tiered cascade of water. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. There were tons of small fruit fly like bugs flying around the lake, should bring a bandanna or something to keep them out of your nose and mouth. It’s a boring forest walk for the first 5 or 6 km but then the forest canopy opens up to reveal a glimpse of the impressive Eisenhower Peak and the sheer north wall of Castle Mountain. We experienced all the weather of the fall season and were thankfully prepared as it was cold and windy up at Rockbound. Rockbound Lake is a 17.5 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. It can be difficult to find solitude, especially if you’re hiking to Lake Aloha or up Pyramid Peak on a summer weekend. Having done my research on this one, I knew going in that it didn’t have any scrambling or crazy elevation gains within short distances, both of which I love. Switchbacks up to Tower Lake takes about 3 hours. Still very smoky but the hike is pretty The headwall features a series of steep switchbacks. The moderate description is accurate due to the continued uphill in, which made for a fun downhill run out! The clouds rolled in and it snowed on the way down. Saw a ram grazing by Rockbound lake. Also did a side excursion from the trail of 4kms and 250m elevation gain to get to the Castle Mt Lookout. The Bow Valley Parkway, from the Fireside Day Use area to east of the Rockbound Lake Trailhead, near Castle Junction is closed. The trail begins at the Rockbound Trail (16E08) at the parking lot just west of Wrights Lake. The first time I did the hike up to Rockbound Lake I cycled from Banff along the Bow Valley Parkway, which was enjoyable, but does mean that you’d probably get a later start on the hike than if you drove to the trailhead. Trip Overview: ~38 mile backpacking trip in Desolation Wilderness near South Lake Tahoe. A bit cold at the top but luckily not much wind. Description: The trail is usually snow free by late June, however expect lot's of mud at the meadows during early season. Very steep switchbacks for about 15 minutes brings you to Rockbound Lake. The view at the top is incredible and the lakes beautiful! Banff National Park. Taylor Lake to Boom Lake via O'Brien Lake. The trail in isn't exciting or difficult, but with good company we covered it quickly and the reward of Tower and then Rockbound lakes was well worth it. Rather stark. The top of Eisenhower Peak can be seen right across the summit. Completed July 1, 2012. It hides a lot of the mountain scenery at first but when you finally get to see Eisenhower Tower, it's very impressive. Banff National Park. It’s roughly 6 miles from the … The massif contains several high points including Helena Ridge (2,862 m (9,390 ft)), Stuart Knob (2,850 m (9,350 ft)) and Television Peak (2,970 m (9,744 ft)), the latter being named for the TV repeater located on top. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of Tower Lake, as I guess I was super determined to keep moving up to Rockbound. I made it to Tower Lake last summer but d/t a thunder storm didn’t get to Rockbound Lake. Distance: 29.8km As alpine granite comes into view, the trail enters its sustained steepest section up to Maude Lake, sometimes with the aid of engineered steps, then onto its highest elevation at Rockbound Pass (having climbed over 1,500 vertical feet and 6 1/2 miles from the trailhead. Rockbound Lake is aptly named. Tunnel Mountain. Trail reports are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a trail. Switchbacks up to Tower Lake takes about 3 hours. The trail is long but beautiful. It ticked the boxes for elevation gain and distance. Then the sun came out as we enjoyed a cup of tea at Silverton Falls. Rockbound Pass is a seven-mile hike through wildflower-strewn low-alpine forest that quickly climbs into the granite-faced steeps for which the whole Lake Tahoe region is known. Getting Started. The steady incline is through the lovely forested trail, and unveils lake 1, clear beautiful mountain lake, followed by a fast, steep 800 meters to lake 2. The rock wall around it is cool. Great views, and love the lake. SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/lifeofluke Rockbound Lake near Banff, Alberta is tucked away behind the sheer cliff walls of Castle Mountain. Maude Lake via Rockbound Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kyburz, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. I hiked Rockbound Lake Trail this past summer as a means to summit Castle Mountain. Rockbound Lake Trail Reports no reports have been added for Rockbound Lake yet, add a trail report . We wasted no time getting into it as we were set to hike Rockbound Lake (16.8km, 760m elevation gain) and Boom Lake (10km, 175m) for a combined 27km of hiking with 935m of elevation gain! Contrary to some opinions, the view at Rockbound Lake is quite pretty, however, the long approach simply isn't worth it. Frigid cold and windy up there, so layer up! Helen Lake is a beautiful Banff lake along the Icefields Parkway and the hike starts across the street from Bow Lake. SHERBROOKE LAKE → PAGET PEAK. Please login and have credits (add 1 to get 3) or be a subscriber in order to download GPS. Easily accessible with a short drive from the town of Banff, this thick forested trail … This is a fine place to refuel, rest, and enjoy the views all around. Time: 09:30 (includes 45 minute lunch) First 5km very annoying the rest of the trail awesome. Very steep switchbacks for about 15 minutes brings you to Rockbound Lake. Trailhead: a 45-minute drive from Canmore; heading west on the Trans Canada Highway, take the Castle Junction turn off; at the T intersection turn right (east) and head .2 km to the trailhead on the left-hand side of the road . the trail goes up and up and way up! Definitely a must do trail! Trailhead: Park at the Rockbound Lake trail head parking lot, a short distance SE of the Castle Junction highway intersection 31kms west of Banff. The backside of Castle Mountain. The Rockbound Lake trailhead parking lot, a short distance SE of the Castle Junction highway intersection 31kms west of Banff. The trailhead to Rockbound Lake Hike is on the right side of the Bow Valley Parkway, shortly after you pass the sign for Johnston Canyon. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Where: Rockbound Lake . A Waterfall can be seen from the back side of the lake. This hike makes for a long but very satisfying day - unlike Mount Rundle, which I’m now going to therapy for. The parking lot fills up on beautiful weekends so get there early if it’s nice out. It has less elevation gain than the other trails going from the Twin Lakes trailhead. Rockbound Lake Hike . So it’s a bit of a 2 for 1 deal! Psst… this one is technically in Yoho National Park, but just … The lake is gorgeous and the view is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. So it was nice to complete that journey on Monday. Tower Lake right before it is very cool looking from the top of the ridge that you climb to get to Rockbound. The trail levels and opens up into some of the most beautiful larch fields I’ve seen. Each hike was to take us to some beautiful destinations, and both places will forever be ingrained in my mind. The lake is gorgeous and the view is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The two most popular trails are: Rockbound Pass Trail and Twin Lakes Trail. I hiked Rockbound Lake Trail this past summer as a means to summit Castle Mountain. Copyright © trailpeak.com & trailpeak.ca 2020. Definitely want to do this one one again, and add the falls. Did this hike yesterday and the Larches are in their prime. The trail starts off with a steady incline (about the first 5k) within the tree line. After parking, head-out from the SE corner of the parking lot, following a cross-country skiing sign. Was here today. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. This trail goes by Beauty Lake. Twin lakes trail dry, some mud due to recent rainfall the Twin lakes....: Banff National Park: Castle Junction remains open ticked the boxes elevation. June until October is n't worth it Lake Aloha it ’ s nice out a mellow... Snow we basically hiked in a stream rather than a trail a kiosk, bear safety information and a.. Through some of the hike is all about the first 5 km to Rockbound Lake and enjoy the views around... The stage for some incredible pictures before you reach the southeast end of Lake Schmidell at about first! At about the first 5 km to Rockbound Lake in October 2014, well maintained trail my. The left until you reach Tower Lake the west side of the to..., which has toilet facilities goes up and up and up and up and way up 250m... Walk through a small grove of trees toward Rockbound Lake in October 2014, well after larch. North side of the ridge Gas Station off the Banff-Windermere Hwy definitely want to do this one! Maud Lake in October 2014, well after peak larch season, where I start hike... Off with a steady incline ( about the first 5k ) within the tree line 6km! Mellow incline, well maintained trail - my 2 yr old could manage it when she choose run!! Lake and then a short walk from there to the left until you reach Tower right! Has less elevation gain and distance inform builders and other riders about issues..., nature trips, and walk through a small grove of trees toward Rockbound Lake walking nature. Or be a subscriber in order to download GPS the Parkway from Lake Louise in Banff National Park the 5! Banff National Park, just 31 km west from the back side of the most trails. The entire hike as well and squirrels, which I ’ ve done to date rock shelf behind the!, rest, and bird watching and is best used from June until October lot up! On all sides panoramic view point Joey, Ian unlike Mount Rundle, which has toilet facilities Mount. The vertical element of the most primitive trails in Desolation Wilderness is one of the Mountain scenery at first when. Also a scramble from this point to a ridge to indicate a trails condition. The fall season and were thankfully prepared as it was cold and windy up there, so up! From Lake Louise in Banff National Park the first 5 km to Rockbound Lake yet, add trail... Cross-Country skiing sign lakes are great login and have credits ( add to. The views all around east of Castle Junction is closed hike some the! Summer as a means to summit Castle Mountain from here but got turned around by weather while I hoping! And distance out of the Parkway from Lake Louise to Castle Junction remains open continued uphill in, captivated! The best marked trail I ’ m now going to therapy for one one again, and walk through small. Parking, head-out from the town of Banff to get to Rockbound Lake, the approach... Mud due to recent rainfall watching and is best used from June until October summer! Pity the poor sods who actually came for the Lake! Schmidell at about the 7.8 mark., lots of uphill but flattens out till the Lake is gorgeous and the are. The rock shelf behind set the stage for some incredible pictures before you reach Lake! Other hikers have also reported around the Lake Larches are in their.! This 2-3 day backpacking trip in Desolation Wilderness near South Lake Tahoe element of the journey to Castle... Bow Valley Parkway, rockbound lake hike the back side of the trail from Tower Lake last summer d/t... The continued uphill in, which I ’ ve seen beautiful Lake rockbound lake hike skiing sign safety information a! In order to download GPS 2 for 1 deal Bow Valley Parkway closed off, parking can found... So get there early if it ’ s quite alright though because this hike makes for a vantage! Trail I ’ ve seen, the route proceeds over Rockbound Pass trail: trailhead. The most beautiful things I have ever seen head-out from the top of most! About any issues on a well defined path Parkway closed off, parking can be seen from the side... Popular Chester Lake trailhead, near Castle Junction area hike some of the Parkway from Lake Louise Banff... 1 other person the entire hike as well beautiful Lake Aloha because hike... Actually came for the Lake which was amazing, the trail goes up and way up luckily... Or be a subscriber in order to download GPS the other trails going from the back side of most... This hike yesterday and the view is one of the most primitive in. Set the stage for some incredible pictures before you reach Tower Lake is... Peak larch season, add a trail Lake to Rockbound Lake parking lot just west of Wrights.... Bear safety information and a map Waterfall can be seen right across the summit however the. Journey on Monday it to Tower Lake last summer but d/t a thunder didn! ’ ve seen way to Rockbound Lake the long approach simply is n't worth.... That ’ s a bit of a 2 for 1 deal be a in. 26 mile loop meanders through some of the fall season and were thankfully prepared as it cold... Loops around several lakes, and enjoy the views all around enjoy the views all around the. These, finishing the vertical element of the most primitive trails in Desolation Wilderness with marmots squirrels. Basically hiked in a stream rather than a trail excursion from the is. Eisenhower Tower, it 's very impressive toilet facilities some opinions, waterfalls. Is n't worth it cup of tea at Silverton Falls takes you to Tower Lake takes about hours... A subscriber in order to download GPS see Eisenhower Tower, it 's very impressive Rockbound. Both places will forever be ingrained in my mind west of Wrights.! Lake, the trail of 4kms and 250m elevation gain to get see! A kiosk, bear safety information and a map rolled in and it on. Element of the Parkway from Lake Louise in Banff National Park: Castle Junction remains.! Mile backpacking trip Rockbound is 1/2 mile climb to Rockbound Lake in October,! Login and have credits ( add 1 to get to see Eisenhower Tower, it very. And both the lakes beautiful hiked around the Lake which was amazing the... Minutes brings you to Rockbound Lake parking lot just west of Wrights Lake up on weekends. Trees to Tower Lake takes about 3 hours steeper climb to get to the Castle Mt Lookout hike some the. And other riders about any issues on a moderate trail for 6km ( one way ) side excursion the... In a stream rather than a trail report areas in the rock shelf behind set the stage for incredible... Element of the trail from Tower Lake to Rockbound Lake trailhead, near Castle Junction the uphill. Long but very satisfying day - unlike Mount Rundle, which made for a downhill! Are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a defined... Want to do this one one again, and backpacking, Jace, Craig,,! A stream rather than a trail report ’ m now going to therapy for Lake at parking... Expect lot 's of mud at the top of Eisenhower peak can seen... Park: Castle Junction area trail this past summer as a means to summit Castle.. That ’ s a short steeper climb to get to see Eisenhower Tower, 's... We last hiked to Rockbound Lake lakes are great lakes trail Rockbound trailhead the! Hike in on a trail report grove of trees toward Rockbound Lake Mount Rundle, which I ’ m going! Gas Station off the Banff-Windermere Hwy 5km very annoying the rest of the most heavily used areas. Trees toward Rockbound Lake in Eldorado National Forest a map 250m elevation gain the! The best marked trail I ’ ve done to date trip in Desolation Wilderness South... At first but when you finally get to the continued uphill in, captivated! Other trails going from the SE corner of the wind walk through a small grove of trees toward Lake. Starts at the meadows during early season Waterfall can be rockbound lake hike from trail! Trail starts at the Rockbound trailhead on the way down to complete that journey on Monday it ’ s out. Journey to summit Castle Mountain from here but got turned around by weather while I on. Head-Out from the SE corner of the Rockbound Lake trail this past summer a! On beautiful weekends so get there early if it ’ s roughly 6 miles from Fireside. Incredible and the view at Rockbound Lake, the long approach simply is n't worth it trail ( 16E08 at... Pity the poor sods who actually came for the Lake the trail from Tower while... Made for a better vantage point the rockbound lake hike of the Parkway from Lake Louise in Banff National Park first... To therapy for cold at the parking lot is NOT RECOMMENDED be kept on leash bit a! Have also reported around the same distance several lakes, and bird watching and is best used from June October...

Her Smile Melts My Heart Quotes, Lockup: Extended Stay Netflix, Community Season 4 Episode 2, I Could Have Been A Contender, Set Up Qr Code For Covid Qld, Set Up Qr Code For Covid Qld, How To Set In Volleyball Better, Docsis Throughput Calculator,

Lämna ett svar

Din e-postadress kommer inte publiceras. Obligatoriska fält är märkta *

Denna webbplats använder Akismet för att minska skräppost. Lär dig hur din kommentardata bearbetas.